Great Consensus Cleanup Revival

It took me a while to figure out how knowing the number of bytes used to create a digest was an alternative to validating the structure of a coinbase transaction. Do I accurately understand that you propose the following:

1. Prover provides the coinbase transaction midstate (including size) for all but the final chunk of the first of the double SHA256 hashes, plus the final chunk.

2. Prover provides a partial merkle branch for the coinbase transaction.

3. Verifier uses the midstate (including size) and the final chunk to generate the coinbase txid.

4. Verifier checks all provided nodes in the partial merkle branch are on the right side (i.e., that the branch is for the first transaction in a block, i.e. the coinbase transaction).

5. Verifier inserts its generated coinbase txid into the partial merkle branch and verifies up the tree until it connects to the merkle root in the block header.

After the above process, the verifier can be certain of the following:

• The number of bytes used to generate the digest (txid).

• If the number of bytes is not equal to 64, then the digested data must have been a transaction (or the block was invalid).

• If the number of bytes is equal to 64, then the digested data may have been either a transaction or concatenated digests for an internal merkle node. The verifier can distinguish between these by checking whether the 64-byte chunk provided to it matches a coinbase transaction pattern.

• The verified transaction is a coinbase transaction given the inability to use CVE-2017-12842 to forge coinbase transactions and the position of the transaction in the merkle tree (or the block was invalid).

• The depth of the coinbase transaction, which is the same depth as all other transactions in the tree.