Deterministic tx selection for censorship resistance

One of my fears is that the risk and liability of transaction selection is so bad that no one will want to do it, leading to full centralization around the block template providers. We may already be there. Matt made a lot of hay about this in his recent TFTC interview and he’s right. The thesis that we can achieve decentralization by pool hopping may be false if there’s only one tx set being used by pools, or if there are too few pools to hop to, and having many pools has a negative consequence in terms of variance reduction. Tx selection is an all downside and no upside problem. Every jurisdiction has someone they don’t like, whether it be political rivals, business rivals, criminals or freedom fighters. If Bitcoin is to be censorship resistant, we’re failing.

An alternative is to have a deterministic algorithm select transactions. The reason we can’t do this today is that we do not all have the same set of txs in our mempool, we have no consensus on the contents of the mempool, and miners can and do introduce txs that have never been seen by anyone in their blocks.

But if we did have consensus on the mempool, it’s straightforward to use a deterministic algorithm to select a subset of those txs.

Step one is to have a committed mempool with consensus. This can be accomplished fairly straightforwardly in a decentralized mining pool like P2Pool or Braidpool by adding a metadata block to the weak blocks (“shares”) used by the pool containing transactions. These metadata “mempool” txs must not conflict with other txs committed to the mempool in ancestor shares, and you can regard this “mempool” as a single large self-consistent block with no block size restriction.

Once we have this committed tx set, every weak block in the share chain defines its own mempool in its ancestors by following the highest work-weighted path to the previous Bitcoin block. (This definition is valid both for blockchain-based P2Pool and DAG-based Braidpool).

One advantage of this approach is that by defining the deterministic block template algorithm, it’s no longer necessary to actually communicate the block template to sharechain nodes since it can be independently computed, vastly speeding up share/block validation and reducing communications bandwidth to be basically equivalent to today’s mempool bandwidth plus the weak block shares, which would add a few hundred bytes about once a second.

Now this doesn’t fully solve the problem of transaction censorship, but rather moves it to the share chain. If you want to prevent a tx from being mined in the main chain, you now have to prevent it from being mined in the share chain. However being mined in the share chain is not finalization. The UTXO set of the parent chain has not updated and in a double spend can still occur. In a DAG this happens via diamond-type graphs with conflicting txs on opposite sides - the algorithm must follow the highest work-weighted path and will pick up only one side of the diamond, but work can be added to the opposite side of the diamond to effect a change in the highest work-weighted path. In a P2Pool-like chain, the same can occur by orphaning a share chain block.

Cheers

• Bob
1 Like

I remember around the time sv2 was announced, you and I discussing the failure of pool hopping in the face of state threats. As a result of overselling this idea, sv2 likely delayed investment in potential solutions or at least actual improvements.

I don’t know if tx pool consistency can solve the problem, but small scale miners operating independently and competitively is certainly the ideal. I’ve been hopeful ever since you introduced braids at scaling HK. It’s good to see that it is finally getting some amount of investment.

I don’t understand the point of this. Your concern is that most miners will choose centralized transaction selection, so you want to force all miners in a decentralized pool to use the transactions selected by other miners? How does that not make the problem worse?

Here’s an example: assume today that 99% of all transaction selection is performed by X. That means there will still be about one block a day that includes indepedently selected transactions—and anyone paying a high enough feerate can almost guarantee that their transaction will be included in that block (provided the tx is valid and policy acceptable). Fees are a good solution to weak censorship: it allows the people being censored to take direct action and buy their way out of their problem.

But if 100% of miners use your described pool, they’ll have to mine any transaction that was previously included in a share before they can mine any transactions of their own choosing. So whoever can include a tx in a share first gets to decide the transaction selection for every other miner in a pool. That creates a strong incentive to be the person who can first include a tx in a share: they can collect out-of-band fees that nobody else can collect and they can perfectly censor unwanted transactions by including junk transactions instead.

1 Like

I don’t see how this can solve the issue, if you don’t enforce it a bitcoin consensus level (not sure if even possible). A government can always say every miner in my country must use a pool that do transaction selection as I want. (this is true also with sv2)

I don’t see how this can solve the issue, if you don’t enforce it a bitcoin consensus level (not sure if even possible). A government can always say every miner in my country must use a pool that do transaction selection as I want. (this is true also with sv2)

I don’t think there is any technical solution to this criticism. But miners in different jurisdictions will have different legal responsibilities, and hopefully someone will mine every transaction.

Cheers, – Bob

I don’t understand the point of this. Your concern is that most miners will choose centralized transaction selection, so you want to force all miners in a decentralized pool to use the transactions selected by other miners? How does that not make the problem worse?

By forcing miners to do tx selection, we increase the number of parties that would need to be attacked by the state in order to control what is mined. Whether or not we have deterministic tx selection, both SV2 and Braidpool are attempting to move tx selection to the individual miners instead of (a smaller number of) pools. If we succeed in getting miners to do tx selection, then this deterministic tx selection idea probably isn’t necessary.

Here’s an example: assume today that 99% of all transaction selection is performed by X. That means there will still be about one block a day that includes indepedently selected transactions

A miner with < 1% hashrate performing independent tx selection has to take a huge risk in variance - about 18% monthly on his revenue, and it gets worse for even smaller miners. In a decentralized pool that same miner would win around 1000 shares per day, with a monthly revenue variance of about 0.58%. We want independent miners to not have to take this financial risk, it’s the whole point of pools in the first place.

But if 100% of miners use your described pool, they’ll have to mine any transaction that was previously included in a share before they can mine any transactions of their own choosing.

With deterministic tx selection they would be unable to mine transactions of their own choosing at all. They must first be mined into a share in order to have consensus that they’re known to all miners. (This is true with or without deterministic tx selection) Also note that Braidpool will use “full proportional” payouts, so any fees are shared with the pool. A miner can’t claim high fee transactions for himself. (Note that this isn’t fully decided - if you have good arguments that the miner should earn fees for himself or get an extra reward for mining a block I’d be interested in hearing it - there’s a wide design space and game theory here)

So whoever can include a tx in a share first gets to decide the transaction selection for every other miner in a pool. That creates a strong incentive to be the person who can first include a tx in a share: they can collect out-of-band fees that nobody else can collect and they can perfectly censor unwanted transactions by including junk transactions instead.

Yes, miners can mine never-before-seen transactions into shares instead of broadcasting them to the mempool, and collect OOB fees for them if they wish. I don’t really see a problem with that. As far as censoring by including junk transactions, a large enough miner can do that today anyway and it’s a 51% attack. It’s still a 51% attack on the share-chain. This might be an argument to limit the size of the sharechain-mempool though, it doesn’t make sense to allow this sharechain-mempool to grow without bound, which would enable the attack you describe.

Cheers, – Bob