Merging incomparable linearizations

It can be checked beforehand: it’s just the feerate of the first chunk of L \setminus T is \leq f.

Hmm, indeed, that would be a better starting point, as it exactly matches the conditions in the actual prefix-intersection merging algorithm. And it’s not equivalent to mine (as your example at the end of your post shows; in that example the highest chunk feerate of bad transactions is 7.5 which exceeds f=5). I’ll think about generalizing it.

Indeed, something like this needs to be included in the proof. Also further, it’s currently unclear why it’s even allowed to move the c_t \cap T transactions to the front of c_t.

I don’t think you need an argument about what happens to c_t after rechunking. It’s sufficient that progress was made by moving a nonzero number of transactions towards the front. If you can keep doing that, all of them will end up at the front of L. And we prove progress will keep being made until they are all at the front of L, so that is indeed the end state.

Note that I started off by merging equal-feerate chunks, so there can be at most one chunk for any given feerate.

Right, this example does capture a situation we want the theorem to cover, but it currently doesn’t.